2 - 2
The Charity of the Ancient Parish of Bisley was formed in 1957 and is an amalgamation of a number of smaller
charities, dating back to 1688, with the aim of helping those in need in the parish.
The combined assets are invested in the COIF Charities Investment Fund. The only land remaining is that known as the Chestergate Allotments in Bisley. The land is held in trust for the charity by the Official Custodian of Charities and is currently leased to the Parish Council.
Charity of Thomas Butler, founded by will in 1688
Charity of Walter Ridler, founded by will proved at London on 6th June 1698
Charity of Joan Ridler, founded by will proved at London on 26th November 1714
Charity of Mary Ridler, founded by will proved at London on 27th October 1715
Charity of Thomas Ridler (no date)
Charity of Samuel Allen, founded in 1734
Charity of Mary Barksdale (no date)
Charity of William Wise (no date)
Charity of Charles Ballinger, founded by will dated 24th June 1798
Charity of Theyer Townsend, founded by will dated 1st July 1801
Charity of John Harvey Ollney, founded by will proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury on
2nd March 1836
Charity of Isaac Woodfield, founded by will dated 9th November 1859
Charity of John Paine, founded by will proved with two codicils thereto at Lewes on 28th November 1874
Charity of William Kimber Butcher, founded by will proved in the Principal Registry on 25th June 1887
Charity of Caleb Tanner, founded by will proved at Gloucester on the 27th March 1902
Some of the details of the original bequests are summarised on the Benefaction Boards lining the walls of the Meeting Room in All Saints’ Church, Bisley (see below).
1688 Mr Thomas Butler gave for a
Sermon and Bread, yearly on Easter-
monday, to be paid out of the Chantry
Estate …………………….£1.10. 0.
1697 Mr. Walter Ridler - £300
1714 Mrs. Joan Ridler - 300
1715 Mrs. Mary Ridler - 100
Mr. Thomas Ridler - 40
Theabove Sums are secured in an Estate
in the parish of Haresfield in this
County, and the interest arising therefrom is
required to be given to the Poor, either
by educating their Children, or in any
other way that may be thought most be
neficial to their interest, pr. Annm. £37 ” ”
1732 Mr. John Taylor for educating
and clothing poor Boys yearly, gave
land at Upton St Leonards, in this
County, now let at per Annum_£52. 10.0
Mr John King of the City of
Bristol, Brazier, a native of this Town
gave the Chandelier to this Church.
1801 Theyer Townsend of Steanbridge
Esq, gave the interest of 100 £ Stock
in the 4 per Cents, which has since
been invested together with accumulated
monies from Ridlers Charity in
the purchase of a Field called Chester-
gate-piece, now let at pr Annm. £10.
Four Pounds of the Rent or Interest
is given away in Bread yearly on St
Thomas day, as directed by Mr. Town
Charles Ballinger of Chalford
Esq, gave a third part of
two Shares in the Stroud Navigation,
the profits arising
therefrom to be distributed
yearly in Woollen Cloth.
There are accumulations,
from the before named
have been invested in
the purchase of £509
Stock, in the new 4 per
Cents, The dividends
therefrom are given to
the poor Annually.
1839. John Harvey Ollney, of
Cheltenham, Esquire. gave Three
Hundred-Pounds; which is invested
in Government – Securities.
The interest of the above is to
be laid out in the purchase of
Coals and Blankets: to be distributed
at Christmas annually;
to such persons as the Minister
and Church-wardens shall select.
Meetings of the Bisley Churchwardens and Charity Trustees have been recorded in a Minute Book purchased from Geo.B. James & Co. Ltd., Wholesale Stationers, 14 Russell Street, Stroud.
The first entry in this volume of handwritten Minutes is dated March 9, 1904.
Documents relating to the various charities are held at Gloucestershire Archives, Clarence Row, Alvin Street, Gloucester GL1 3DW. www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives
| | | | |
CHARITY OF THE ANCIENT PARISH OF BISLEY
© Copyright Charity of the Ancient Parish of Bisley | Registered Charity Number 237229